The Capilano Review is pleased to invite submissions of new and previously unpublished work for consideration in its forthcoming 2023–2024 publication year.
We welcome submissions of boundary-pushing, innovative writing across a variety of genres and forms, including but not limited to: poetry, experimental fiction, personal/poetic essay, creative nonfiction, and hybrid forms.
Writers are also welcome to pitch ideas for long-form critical essays (1500-2500 words) on contemporary art or artists, ideas for our online see to see section—reviews of recent or forthcoming literary/art books (500 words)—and ideas for feature interviews with Canadian authors and artists that may be of interest to our readership.
TCR seeks to redress historical inequity in the literary and visual art publishing spheres by prioritizing creative work from individuals from historically marginalized communities, including Black, Indigenous, and people of colour; queer and trans people; working-class and underemployed people; women, femme, and non-binary people; disabled people; and emerging artists. Writers are encouraged to self-identify in the body of their email to be prioritized in our editorial process.
- Submission period: June 1–30, 2023.
- Please take time to familiarize yourself with the magazine and the kind of work we publish before submitting.
- For writing submissions: Please submit a maximum of 6 pages in a Word doc file. If you have a specific vision in terms of layout, please include a PDF as a layout guide.
- For pitches: Please describe your proposed interview/review/critical text in a single paragraph within the body of your email, with links to any contextual images/information as necessary. Please also include 1-2 writing samples of relevant work.
- All submissions: Include a one-paragraph description of your project and a 50-word biography copied directly into the body of your email. Optional: Writers from historically marginalized groups may choose to self-identify in their email.
- Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the submission deadline.
Submission to our open reading period is free, but please consider supporting TCR by reading and sharing the journal with your networks, purchasing a subscription for yourself or a friend, or making a one-time or monthly donation to allow us to continue to publish innovative work such as yours.
Accepted submissions of poetry and prose will be compensated at a rate of $50 CAD per page upon publication. Flat rate fees for commissioned interviews and critical texts range from $200–$500 CAD depending on length and scope and will be discussed upon acceptance of a pitch.
Ready to submit?
Email your submission to email@example.com.
Our editorial team will aim to respond to selected submissions by the end of August. *UPDATE: The Editorial team will be working on getting back to confirmed selections by the end of October 2023. Thank you for your continued patience!
We look forward to reading your work!